kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Correction for Pyxis in France

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Olaf Pronk / Centre soafiavy on July 06, 2000 at 11:51:25:

In Reply to: Correction for Pyxis in France posted by Denis Mosimann (Switzerland) on July 06, 2000 at 09:33:11:

: : Furthermore, I donot think the Chinese eat these rare turtles because they are poor or hungry. With the current prices on the foodmarket for some species, eating turtles is pure luxury.

: Yes, but for example C. trifasciata is considered to have sexual properties in powder, so powder don't mean to buy all the turtle... But I agree that for living animals, they are now out of prices for indigenes.

Sorry, but I think I misundertood you when you said "they would all be eaten by people that are very hungry". I also heard some Chinese believe C.trifasciata and related Cuora species may cure certian forms of cancer.....

: : Madagascxar asked France to return the confiscated radiata and Pyxis to Madagascar, freight charges at Madagascar's expense but France never replied. Instead, they sold them to a french trader.

: They don't sell them to a trder but giave them to a tortoises breeding center in Corsica that has sold no tortoise. They have all the tortoises there and are doing to make breeding groups with separated subspecies, ... So, NO TORTOISE WAS SOLD!!! A friend of me has seen all those animals and have confirmed me that no animal would quit this center...

May be we are talking about two different groups of confiscated Pyxis then. I know of a large group that was sold to a french mainland herpdealer. Not that it matters, if animals are confiscated and the country of origin expresses interest to have the animals returned, the confiscating country should respect this and not decide without approval of the country of origin what to do with the animals.

: : I agree with you that the US donot export many of their cb turtles and tortoises but donot think this is the breeders fault. Exports involve so much red tape that people rather sell them locally. In some cases, apllicants for permits are almost treated as if they were criminals.

: Yes, I agree, but if people were concerned that other people have great enclosure and would be very serious for a breeding project, I think they wouldn't sell them to the first person that buy them and of course, many would die because lacking of knowledges...

Well if they become desperate enough because of the red tape involved to obtain CITES export permits, may be they look harder to find a good home for their cb offspring within the USA?

Olaf

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]