kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: want a hermann, I think

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Julia Walker on July 05, 2000 at 15:00:29:

In Reply to: Re: want a hermann, I think posted by Joey on July 11, 1999 at 13:33:29:

I wish to purchase a spur thighed tortie male
here in Great Britain - can anyone tell me where?how?
Many thanks
Julia Walker

: I have both, and I feel they are equally friendly.

: One major point to consider is that if you want a captive-bred tortoise, a Hermann's baby will be probably easier to come by, they are bred more in captivity. Right now is the "season" for importers, and many adult Russians are currently being imported and offered for sale. Therefore, any adult Russian you find for sale will most likely be an import. Should you choose to go this route, Russian acclimate reasonably well, but I would highly recommend taking the tortoise to a vet experienced with tortoises for a work up and fecal parasite check to make sure you get off to a good start with your new tortoise. What area do you live in? A reptile show might be a good place to look for a tortoise - then you would have the opportunity to discuss and view several species, and could deal directly with the breeder. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]