kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Substrate for Red-Foots

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Poppy on July 04, 2000 at 08:47:40:

In Reply to: Re: Substrate for Red-Foots posted by Elizabeth and the Redfoots on August 30, 1999 at 14:09:29:

I have had a red foot for about 6 years and have always used shredded hemp as a substrate.I find it to be ideal as it is not dusty, easy to spot clean and absorbant

: : Hi Folks:

: : I have a pair of Red-Foots that are 7 years old. The one problem that I have had is what to use for a substrate. I have used newspaper (too ugly, since the torts are in a large pen in my sunroom), various bark products, lizard litter, etc. It seems that each of these substrates ends up being extremely dusty. Does anyone have a suggestion for a relatively dustless substrate? What do you folks use?

: Are they indoors all the time?? First, I would do whatever it takes to make them an outdoor pen so they can be outside as much of the year as possible. Substrate there would be, of course, dirt and grass, weeds, bushes, etc., as much of it edible as possible. I use cypress mulch from the Home Depot to cover the bare places in my large outdoor pen -- cypress mulch also holds moisture well, and redfoots require high humidity. An automatic timer turns on a "rainshower" (elevated sprinklers) twice a day for my big girl.

: In Beasley's indoor pen (he's my small guy, and he has a 4x4 indoor pen and a 4x4 outdoor pen), I use cypress mulch over topsoil (no perlite or vermiculite in it). I use a heavy duty chemical sprayer (which has never had chemicals in it) to mist the substrate 2-3 times a day inside (when he's in) and a hose and mister system to keep things humid outside. If you are keeping the substrate misted, it won't be dusty. And redfoots really need the humidity.

: See my webpage, below. There are pages on outdoor habs for large and small torts, and Beasley's indoor pen is detailed on the first page.

: The photo shows Beasley's indoor enclosure. :-)

: Elizabeth and the Redfoots

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]