kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: baytril question update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on July 02, 2000 at 02:20:22:

In Reply to: Re: baytril question update posted by brian m on July 02, 2000 at 00:14:07:

Tortoises like mammal type grazers have bacteria in what is called the hind gut. These bacteria help break down the fiberous structure of the grasses and the like that are grazed upon for easier digestion.

: : I was wrong on one part. The baytril is absorbed mostly in the stomach.
: : Although there has been no actual studies as to the effect on gut flora, anecdotal evidence shows there was no effect on the gut flora of herbivorous herps looking at all the cases where Baytril was administered orally.
: : Another interesting note, trying to replace gut flora orally is basicly worthless. The Ph of the stomach is such that the introduced bacteria is destroyed before it ever reaches the hind gut. How is the gut flora replaced? (??????) But the chances of wiping out the gut flora with an antibiotic are slim to none.

:
: thank you for your responces.
:
: i have one question though what is gut flora i'm only on my second year with torts and have never heard that term before?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]