kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

actually: You're missing the POINT

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by nathan on March 13, 2002 at 10:43:44:

In Reply to: You're missing the POINT posted by Merri on March 13, 2002 at 09:37:32:

Dandelions of some sort do grow in Africa, at least from what I've read. In any case that's largely irrelevant. The plant types of the grasses for graze are very similar to those that are found in Africa, and I'd bet have similar nutritional value. Nothing reputable that I've read suggests feeding store bought greens on a regular basis, but rather as an additional treat, and for use with providing vitamins.

This information was not determined arbitrarily.

Rhubarb is indeed lethal to turtles, especially females forming eggs and young turtles. Rhubarb also has incredibly high amounts of oxalic acid in it, and otherwise is remarkably similar in content to a number of other storebought greens. Softshell problems have been seen in animals that have spinach, etc. as a major part of their diet on a regular basis. How does this information NOT point towards using them sparingly or not at all to get a healthier animal? I suppose it would be best to import african plants and replant the yard that way, but since that's not feasible, HUSBANDRY becomes all about providing the best care possible with locally available foods and improving it over time, based on the experiences of yourself and others. Ignoring that is the definition of BAD husbandry. Knowingly providing a diet or housing that will result in poor health is not only poor husbandry, but cruel and morally apprehensible (almost as bad as my spelling). If this person was suggesting a useful experiment to provide some scientific evidence to improve husbandry practices, it would be a whole different issue. Instead we have an immature person who's decided to rebel against some imagined oppressor at the cost of an animal's health and possibly it's life. That's not only wrong, it's stupid.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]