kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: kw,u are partially correct!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by kw on June 28, 2000 at 13:03:57:

In Reply to: kw,u are partially correct!! posted by James on June 27, 2000 at 03:26:18:

But the original poster was talking about an Indian Star seen in a pet store! Of course, any time you import animals there are permits that need to be obtained. If purchasing an Indian Star already in the US, there is no problem.
Yes, you should check out the source of the tortoise. I personally do not advocate purchasing wild caught animals unless you are a person with much experience and the species is one that has not yet been established in captivity. I prefer to purchase c.b. animals directly from breeders and I volunteer often to help people locate breeders rather than purchasing animals from dealers or pet stores.
Please don't confuse people. If you want to point out that there is a possibility of a tortoise having been smuggled into the US then offered for sale, make that clear. The way you stated it, it sounded like the tortoise, regardless of origin, could not be sold without a permit. This is misinformation. This could be a reputable pet store and you could possible start rumors that they are dealing in illegally imported animals.
By the way, I own 3 Indian Star tortoises, all c.b. from different breeders. If you don't want people purchasing from pet stores, just come out and say so. But please don't lead them to believe that a pet store is doing something illegal by selling an animal that does not require a permit in order to be sold here. It's fine to point out your concerns but please state them as concerns, not in a way that makes people think someone is breaking the law.
kw
: I am not talking about Radiated tortoises.what i want to tell u is thousands of Indian stars are smuggled into US from asia every year.I can tell u for sure only a minority are legally imported from europe or produced by local breeders.Of coz we don't need a permit to possess.Once they entered into our country and appeared in the pet shops,who knows if they are legally specimens.they will be sold as a legal CB animals as always.the dealer will tell u they are produced by a famous breeder in US.
: If they are smuggled animals,do u think they can be said as "legal"?i don't think so.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]