kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: thinking of getting one...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by nathan on March 13, 2002 at 08:31:29:

In Reply to: Re: thinking of getting one... posted by Kyryah on March 13, 2002 at 01:00:42:

Quinn,
I know you've gotten your boxies and are working with them, and that you are in college. When I was in college I quickly accumulated a large collection that became a massive chore to deal with. I'd recommend that you work on getting your degree and a job, and taking care of and getting used to and learning more about the animals that you've got. It's my opinion that there are NO tortoises that do well indoors any more than what is absolutely necessary for the winter. I feel the same way about box turtles and all turtles except for some aquatics (which still do better outdoors). Tortoises are also like boxies in that they love to wander all the time, and small enclosures or indoor housing leaves them pacing and is sad to see. Give it some time and keep reading and learning more. I've waited 20 years to finally be able to build my 5000 square foot enclosure with pond and more, and am chewing my nails waiting out the last 82 days before I can get started. I'm glad I've kept my group small for the last few years so that I can grow it again with optimal conditions for each and every animal, as well as with many years of experience and lots of learning and research. Growing the collection too fast is much too easy, but generally results in poorer care and a lack of interest from the owner, as the workload and costs increase.

If you have lots of outdoor space to dedicate, as well as plenty of money to work with, and aren't moving after college, then perhaps you can think about getting animals sooner, but I'd think a year or two raising your hatchlings to make sure you know what you are getting into and doing it well would be the best course.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]