kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Terry...long...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Heather on June 19, 2000 at 17:57:44:

In Reply to: Re: tortoise not feeding, plse help/ Heather , EJ posted by Terry on June 19, 2000 at 13:48:18:

Hi Terry,
Wow, a tortie sitter/nurse too!

Hi Terry, this is my little experiment I did, not scientific at all, kind of a touch and go thing with advice from a vet and a tortoise rehabber helping me along...

When mine was sick, she just didn't seem interested in eating by herself. She seemed to lack the strength to do so. The vet wasn't worried about her not eating, but he advised me to soak her 2X daily for 15 minutes to keep her hydrated and to feed some moister foods. He also noted from blood tests that she had not urinated in a while, so we wanted to see her urinate...turns out she would not drink at all, nor would she urinate while soaking.

So, I began offering pieces of Romaine lettuce to her. I could tear off a piece and kind of hold it under he nose for her to smell. She began eating it, so then I tore up pieces of lettuce and kept them soaking in water or a 50/50 mix of Pedialite and water (a tortoise rehabbers advice).
Then I started soaking dandelions, hibiscus and things in the water...

It seemed that she often would just sit and look at the food if I put it in front of her. If I tore up a piece so it was more fragrant then she became more interested. I eventually snuck in other things like flowers and grazing/pasture mix into the lettuce -- kind of sandwiched it in.

I was very worried about the hydration/urination thing, so I often gave her some of the ribs of Romaine - the ones that seem almost all water...
and eventually it did the trick I think. She finally urinated, passed feces...

Now I know Romaine is low on our list of feeding items, but I think it came in handy this time as it is almost irresistible to a tortoise. I was worried about her becoming addicted to it, but I felt is was a way to get something in her, especially water.

With a sick one, especially one on meds, remember that hydration is very important.

Mine also loved to bask to the point that her shell was very warm to the touch, hence the further need for hydration.

I don't have indoor setups for mine, and I know you don't either. So, I kept mine under a basking lamp, and sometimes used a heating pad.
I took her out every day for sun and that was when she really perked up. She'd bask then crawl into dapply shade for a nap.

I'd let the sick Russian out as much as possible, just watch him to be sure he can get out of the sun. I'd keep him out of any rainy weather and bring him in the afternoon/evening. Also try to sprinkler him with some rain to see if you can get him to drink from puddles. (only if weather is very warm...) That seemed to perk mine up as well.

If you can get him up and walking and moving that will help get his system up and going to fight the infection. I'd pick mine up, pet her, encourage her to walk and things like that. The vet really felt this was an important part of the healing process.

Like I said, was just my humble little experience...but hope it gives you some ideas.
Email me or post again if I can be of any help.
Regards,
Heather

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]