kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: tortoise not feeding, plse help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Heather on June 19, 2000 at 13:34:07:

In Reply to: Re: tortoise not feeding, plse help posted by EJ on June 19, 2000 at 12:26:13:

I agree whole-heartedly with EJ's suggestion of utilizing natural sunlight. I think it has wonderful healing properties for sick torties.
I was housing a sick tortoise indoors due to the fact that I was afraid she was too sick to seek shade. However, I took her out into the yard for at least an hour or two each day. She perked up immediately in the sunlight. Be sure to monitor the tortoise in the sun in the event that he is too weak to pull himself out of the sun.
When mine stopped eating, I hand fed her.
Although it is by far less than ideal, I got mine to start feeding on Romaine lettuce. I tore up pieces and soaked them in water so that she could be getting additional water stores from the lettuce as well. Once she started eating the lettuce, I incorporated dandelions, and her normal grazing diet along with hibiscus and cactus.
Also provide stimulation to get him walking around and moving. If you can get his system up and moving, it will aid in the healing process.
Remember that tortoises have a very slow metabolism and therefore respond/heal slowly.
I would not hibernate him this year since his health is compromised. Even if he appears healthy by the time the fall rolls around, he might still have some underlying health issues.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]