return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My take...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Morgan on June 12, 2000 at 12:48:55:

In Reply to: Doing my part to stop pet stores... posted by Tim on June 09, 2000 at 12:17:32:

I don't buy anything from Petco, but I frequently go in and tell anyone who is near the reptile section about the dead anoles, imported tortoises, improperly labeled geckos and what a hassle iguanas are. I'm sure there are a couple of locations that would be quite happy to never see my face again, but since I'm only engaging other customers in friendly conversation and sharing my knowledge, the store cannot do anything. It's hard not to "rescue", but I just remember that another animal will be ordered to replace the one I buy, and I cannot perpetuate that. Better that the store be stuck with sick animals or overstocked with suddenly unpopular iguanas than have then get the idea that it's a business-building proposition.

I have bought animals from chains, and I've done my share of "rescuing" from less than desirable stores, but I also try and educate as much as possible and to get people to join their local herpetological association. With my involvement with the New England and Upstate (NY) Herp societies I have met breeders, or have met people who have used out-of-state breeders, as well as have learned what my limitations are on dealing with freshly imported pet store stock.

I do not plan to "rescue" any store animals any more. Of course, that's what I said before I got my water dragon...

Good for you for buying supplies elsewhere - I too get almost all my supplies from pets.com, Lowe's and a local pet store that is pretty good. I'll buy anything else at our Pet Supplies Plus, which doesn't sell live animals (except for fish).

It's a balance, but I hope you can bring yourself to do some in-store education. At the very least, drop off some membership forms for your local herp society!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]