return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: HINDGEBACK TORTOISE WHAT SHOULD I FEED IT

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James Lowey on June 10, 2000 at 14:14:24:

In Reply to: Re: LEPOPARD OR HINDGEBACK WHICH IS BETTER TO KEEP posted by rachel on June 10, 1999 at 02:16:58:

: : I NEED HELP PLEASE,

I do not know what to feed my hingeback tortoise because i just got her (her name is mildred)I know that these type of tortoises eat suckulint plants because my brother raises russian tortoises but I dont know what else to feed my tortoise

: : IN YOUR OPINION IF YOU HAD A CHOICE WHICH WOULD YOU KEEP A LEOPARD OR HINDGEBACK PLEASE GIVE ME THE GOOD THE BAD ON BOTH PLEASE . IS ONE MORE PERSONABLE THAN THE OTHER, I KNOW ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE IN THEIR SIZE

: : WHAT ABOUT AGE DIFFERENCE . WILD CAOUGHT - CAPTIVE BREED HOW CAN YOU BE SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE GETING

: : THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE

: : K.L.G,

: I would choose a hingeback; I have kept leoprads as well but found that they were a bit too shy and got to large (don't worry- I have a friend who's a herpetoculturist that breeds leopards so they got a good home). The person that wrote you and said that his hingebacks were shy probably had an experience with wild caught animals- both my hinge-back that I have now and my leopards are/were captive bred specimens. I got my hinge-back when he was 8 months old and he had no fear of people- when I was examining his health at the pet store, he poked his whole head and neck out of his shell and looked around at everyone very calmly. As soon as I got him he ate greens and tortise pellets strait from my fingers! I got him while I was on vacation and when we stoped in state parks to go camping he slept in the tent with me. At night I woud read in the tent before bed and while I did this, my new friend pottered around quite happily on the floor before I put him in my sleeping bag with me to keep warm at night. If you decide that you want a hinge-back, I would suggest a Bell's hinge-back; they are prettier(in my opinion)than other H.B.s and don't require such humid enviornments since they are found in grasslands and not tropical forests. (the scintific name is Kinixys belliana)

: Well, I hope I have been of some help to you and I hope you have a good time with whatever tortise you end up with! -RACHEL

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]