return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Russians / Kathy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kathy on June 08, 2000 at 20:18:13:

In Reply to: Re: Russians / Kathy posted by Terry on June 08, 2000 at 19:35:34:

: Kathy,
: does it get cold enough in Arizona for them to hibernate outdoors?
Yes. Our coldest winter temps are around 39 degrees.

: Can you explain how you set them up for hibernation, how long they hibernated etc?
I don't do anything special for them before hibernation, other than their regular vet check to make sure they're healthy. One did hibernate a month longer than the other this last year, and I actually woke him up because I was worried, but he was completely healthy.
Let me tell you my russians' home set-up secret: straw, straw and more straw! In a corner of our yard where our block fence wall meets the house wall, a location that gets the early morning sun and misses the hotter afternoon sun, I piled a bale of straw up. The hay pile is about 2'-0" at its highest point and extends out from the corner about 3'-0". It's located under the eave of our house (and the corner is a very secluded area) so it doesn't get wind and is protected against light run off during an average AZ rain. When we're expecting a big storm, I cover the pile with a tarp and hold the tarp down with rocks. They use this pile to sleep in 95% of the time and also use it to sleep in during the heat of the day (feeding early am and evening).

: Also do you have a pair, if so is there ever any agression between them.
I have a pair of males and I have seen one attempt to bite the other's front leg. No damage done, and since they have the whole yard to run around in and a huge hay pile to sleep in, they get along very well.
: TIA,
: Terry.

I hope this helps. You're in HI, right? Probably get quite a bit more rain than us! Let me know if I can help you with your new russian in any way.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]