return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Can I expect hatchlings?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on June 07, 2000 at 20:12:43:

In Reply to: Can I expect hatchlings? posted by Christine on June 07, 2000 at 18:41:46:

My female box turtle laid eggs about 30 days after I caught her mating. She laid two eggs , then about 30 days later 2 more.
This year I caught my turtles mating loads of times, I think one of females laid eggs, but have no idea where, as I didn't catch her digging or laying.
Turtles can retain sperm and lay the eggs when conditions are right.The female will start pacing the enclosure and digging with her back legs. Usually in the afternoon, early evening.
You'll just have to keep watching the female, see if she starts feeling very heavy. You can also put your finger in by her back legs and see if you can feel the eggs.

If you dicover she is gravid have your incubator ready, unless you're going to leave them in the ground where she laid them.
Takes around 70 days from the day the eggs were layed till the hatchlings emerge.
You'll also need to have a hatchling enclosure set up.
Keep your eye on her and let us know.
Terry.

: If box turtles have mated, (caught them locked together) can I expect hatchlings soon, or do they not conceive with each mating?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]