return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Edible cactus???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on June 07, 2000 at 10:56:00:

In Reply to: Edible cactus??? posted by Miguel on June 07, 2000 at 09:17:17:

Miguel, lucky you. This is probably what they call spineless cactus. The stuff you really want to feed your tortoises. If they will eat the fruit that is ok for them also. (not to much though)(remember, you want to vary the diet as much as possible). Some folks go to great lengths to get this stuff for their torts and here you got it growing in your own back yard.
If the small spines worry you you can take some sheets of news paper to hold the cactus pad and under running water lightly scrape the spines off with a knife blade.
The stuff is very easy to transplant if you want to grow your own. Just stick the cut end of a pad into some sandy loam (soil type) put it in bright sunlight. Keep it well watered but allow the ground to dry out between waterings. This is the time of the year it does it's best growing.

: Hi all. I have been feeding cactus to my tortoises latetly, and they just love it. I have been buying my cactus at a great store near my house. Well, my question is the following......near my house there is a cactus bush (tree ?) that is huge, it has lots of cactus pads, and on the cactus pads there are red cactus fruit growing from it. But this cactus looks a bit different from the stuff I buy at the market, it has no spines, just little dots of tiny little spines, that almost feels like velvet. I was wondering, is this edible cactus also? I know that the cactus fruit is edible, cause I have tried it myself, when its very red, and its really yummy stuff....but does that mean that the cactus pads are also edible??

: So I just hope that someone can tell me if I should try feeding a little of this cactus to my tortoises, or should I not try to do this 'cause it can harm them?

: Well, I hope someone can help me out, thanks in advance.

: Miguel.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]