return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Sulcata/120F clarified

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on June 06, 2000 at 12:45:23:

-The animal I used as an example is an extreme. The animal is part of a group of rehab animals that developed soft shells as hatchlings. Carpeting is used for various reasions including the ease of collecting fecal samples, for what appears to be an ease of the little guys to just walk around and the ease of cleaning.
-The set up was derived by trial and error in the raising of Egyptian tortoises.(9 years now) I found this was best set up that produced the least problems.
-By providing that temperature range gives the animal max control. They get up in the AM and sit under the light. By the afternoon they are all sleeping at the far end of the enclosure. During the course of the day I can find them at various positions in the enclosure.
-A description of the enclosure: 4 foot long by 2 foot wide by 10 inches high. A velvet or very fine fibered carpet(roughly 1/8 inch thick) A hole is cut in each of the corners at the far end to accomodate (2) 6 inch ceramic plant saucers for water. (This actually lowers the dishes making it easier for the little guys to access). At the warm end is a clip on bell shaped fixture with a 100w active UV heat flood light which is connected to a 12 hour timer. The animal room is heated by a baseboard heater to 75-80 F.
Water dishes are cleaned and filled once a day. This setup has worked quite well with Egyptians, Stars, leopards, sulcata, Libyan greaca, and CDT to name a few.
-The temps I always recomend are 75 - 90 (generally) but I do usually describe my setup as an option. I recomend this carpeting for hatchlings because it appears to me that it is easier for them to walk on.
Hope that clarifies things a tad.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]