return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I know, a tortoise forum, but here is my snake story........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Oakley on June 05, 2000 at 17:38:50:

As far as the story......I was referring to the comment that torts have more personality than snakes. First I will say that I agree, BUT, I had a ball python for years. No big deal of a snake, it was given to me by a friend (when it was just a few months old)who did not want it and I raised it 'til it was 5 1/2 yrs old. My point is, that around the time it was 1 year old it started doing a VERY unique thing for a snake. EVERY day when I came home, I had him in my living room at this time, he would see me come in and bring his head up to the top of the cage. OK, so it is not very strange....YET! He did this OVER and OVER again and finally after a few weeks of this (and I noticed this action every day) I would then open the cage......touch it, hold it, or some type of contact. ONLY then would he return to the bottom of the cage and go about a normal snakes life. I know snake rise up to the top, stretching up and up, from time to time, but the real kicker was that he would only do this when I CAME IN THE FRONT DOOR. I have a wife and a child and MANY people coming in and out from time to time and NOT ONCE did I ever notice him react to someone coming through the door like he did me. It is a true story, does it prove anything......NO, but I did really enjoy this action, for the 2 or so of the 5 years I owned this snake, that I kept him in the living room.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]