return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: To Water or Not to Water... was Sulcata

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on June 05, 2000 at 13:26:14:

In Reply to: To Water or Not to Water... was Sulcata posted by EJ on June 05, 2000 at 11:25:52:

In the book.

The Care and Breeding of the African Spurred Tortoise Geochelone Sulcata

The authors state that they offer water to their adult sulcatas once a week during the summer months and twice a week during winter.

Hatchlings are offered water every other day during summer, twice a week during winter.

I have clean fresh water available at all times, the adults drink less than the juveniles.

Obviously environment, temperatures and diet play their part. I know of a breeder who has muddy type ponds that the adult sulcatas will wallow in. But this breeder lives in the Mojave Desert,
his sulcatas will cover their backs in mud which protects them from the sun.

I prefer to leave water out, it's not difficult to change it daily. I haven't experienced loose stools by providing water to my sulcatas, as Heather has. Maybe the climate in her area has something to do with her sulcatas drinking too much. Most of us live in different states so once again climate and environment could be a factor.

The only time I ever notice loose stools was if I fed opuntia cactus more than once a week to every 10 days. That definately caused the sulcatas to produce wetter stools.

I really think climate ( temperature)and environment play a big part.
In the wild temperatures vary, peaking at mid day then dropping back down. In the evening the tortoises will retreat to their burrows.
It is not easy providing the exact micro climate
for our torts in captivity. So the tortoise might compansate by drinking to cool down or rehydrate himself.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]