return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Leopard Tort may be sick-please help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andrew on June 05, 2000 at 10:48:28:

I need some fast guidance because my little Leopard Tort (5") may be getting sick.

I took him to the vet two days ago and despite getting a clean bill of health, he hasn't been the same since. All the vet did was do a visual inspection, looked inside his mouth (which the Tort really hated) and checked for worms. However, I had to wait 90 minutes to see the vet and it was a pretty cold day (daytime high was 62). I kept my little guy in a box cushioned in an old blanket. The vet put him under a heat lamp in the examination room because he was pretty sluggish when I finally got in. The only other notable thing about the vet trip was the fact that my little guy was clearly nervous and peed about every ten minutes.

Since going to the vet, he's been pretty lethargic, just laying right under his basking light (which is set at about 90 degrees directly under it). On top of that he's spending a lot of time drinking water. I can understand that because of the amount of peeing he did at the vet. However, when he drinks he puts his whole face under the water and gets a lot of water in his nostrils. As a result, he makes a lot of bubbling noises afterward and water dribbles out of his snout. He also looks distressed because he pops his head in and out of his shell a few times and rubs his head against one of his front legs after drinking. I'm really worried about these noises because it sounds almost like he's aspirating water. He also seems to be eating less than he did.

I hope to heck he hasn't started getting a respiratory problem. Should I plan on getting him right back to the vet ASAP?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]