return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I can't get plants to grow! =)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shelly on June 04, 2000 at 17:07:21:

In Reply to: Re: I can't get plants to grow! =) posted by Terry on June 04, 2000 at 15:32:35:

: Shelly,
: how big are your sulcatas, and what kind of plants are you trying to grow?

: Hibiscus are a great plant to have for a sulcata, I don't grow mine in the Tortoises area, as they would destroy them, big sulcatas!
: But I have around 15 Hibiscus plants in other areas of the yard, the torts get the flowers daily.
: You could grow hibiscus in a smaller sulcatas enclosure. Start off with a 1' plant or a little bigger, trim the plant every few weeks so it grows nice and bushy. Hibiscus are easy to grow, simply water every couple of days and trim every month or so.

: If you're trying to grow small plants, the tortoises might trample them, and constant watering in a small enclosure could make it a bit wet.

: I would either start with larger plants, or grow them out of the tortoises area .
: Or divide the enclosure in two, let the plants in one side grow then put the torts in to graze, while you replant the other area.
: Not a lot of help but it may give you some ideas.
: Terry.

I have one sulcata that is approximately 9 months old and is about 3". I have tried growing plants from seeds because I didn't want to buy them from a nursery because of the pesticides and such that they use.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]