return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sulcatas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on June 04, 2000 at 14:54:17:

In Reply to: Re: Sulcatas posted by Heather on June 04, 2000 at 14:19:10:

All my sulcatas are housed outdoors, from the 5" little one to the 150 lb big boy.
They all have water available at all times.
For the larger sulcatas a huge but shallow 2", plastic plant pot saucer. They do drink from it, but not often.
For the smaller sulcatas I provide two types of water bowls.
One is a small plastic plant pot saucer just big enough to drink from.
I also povide a rectangle pastic Tupperware type lid.
It is only about half an inch deep.
It's big enough for the smaller sulcatas (7") to sit in.
They go in quite a lot and have a little soak.

The lid is very easy to just step into, so there is no danger of them flipping.

For smaller torts indoors you can use the pastic top from a cocoa container, it's rectangle in shape, flat and very shallow.

I used something similar for my hatchling leopard torts.
A very shallow, small plastic Sunny Delight lid.To small to sit in, but big enough to sip from easily.
As tiny Hatchlings housed indoors they would take sips from the lid.
As slightly bigger,( but not much 2")torts outdoors in their safe pen, I provided a shallow , flat , small Tupperware lid.
These little leaopards would step in and take a little soak or drink daily.
I also gave them a little soak every few (3) days and still soak my juvenile 7" sulcatas once a week, even with the drinking water available.
I never soak my adult sulcatas, although they will go and sit in a puddle from the spinkler sometimes.
I don't water their area ( the back yard)during the day, but the sprinklers around the side of the house leaves a puddle in a small area of the back yard. The adult sulcatas will sometimes, but not often sit in the puddle.

I'm one of the ones who believe that drinking water should be available. There are plenty of saucers or lids in all shapes and sizes, that you can find a little drinking dish for any size tort. Small and shallow enough that there is no danger. But just big enough that they can take a little drink if they want.
Just my two little cents!
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]