return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Russian Tortoise Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric T. on May 27, 2000 at 22:29:37:

In Reply to: Russian Tortoise Questions posted by Doug Usifer on May 27, 2000 at 16:38:34:

: I own russian tortoises, they make wonderfull pets! First a 30 gal aquarium is barely big enough for 1 let alone 2 tortoises. As temperary housing it isn't too bad, but I would definately suggest a larger vivarium as soon as possible.
Russian torts love to climb, so its a good idea to put in some rocks to climb on.
As for food leafy green veggies (but no cabbage)along with grazing grasses and hay are the best foods. In the summer I occasionally feed mine berries and fruit, but these are like a dessert not the main meal.
I soak my tortoise every few weeks for between 10 and 15 min- luke warm water shallow enough so as not to cover his head. He wont like this but its good for him.
If you suspect that your female is going to lay eggs you should provide an area for her to lay them in. She will want to dig a hole in moist sand or moist soil to lay the eggs in. Its important to provide this since if there is no place to lay her eggs she will keep them inside herself until they rot and cause her death. I tell everybody that if you think your tort is with eggs then take her to a vet, and have him x-ray, or ultrasound her to find out.
In the month of October I cut back on the tort's food so that by the end of October they haven't eaten for a couple of weeks. At the same time I soak them more often sometimes every other day- I want them to have as much water in their bodies as possible. Then i get a shoe box lined with hay, put the torts in it and cover them with more hay and put them in the vegetable bin of the refrigerator. this is sometime in the first weeks of November. I check them every few weeks to see if everything is Okay and leave them there until March or until they start to move around on their own.
I hope that covers everything, and wasn't too confusing to you.
Good luck with your torts!
-Eric-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]