kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: New Russian Tort

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by mike on March 08, 2002 at 07:24:33:

In Reply to: Re: New Russian Tort posted by Keri on March 07, 2002 at 22:49:55:

Raise the temperature like Keri said. I have learned the hard way not to purchase a tortoise unless I see a demonstration that it will eat. I was at a Petsmart and they had a tank of Russians and they were eating like no tomorrow. I was not looking for a Russian, but they were too hard to pass up. I bought a pair and they are great feeders, even taking food from my hand. The female even chases me in her pen when I walk by. She's a bit of a pig and is beginning to show signs of being to fat, so I limit her to just a handful of greens daily. The male is already a little bit too fat. Petsmart told me they heve a vet worm and Flagyl them ahead of selling them which I think every pet shop should do in the first place. For $59.99 each I still think they were a steal. I could not have asked for a nicer pair of tortoises. I bought a pair of cherry heads at a show and they have not eaten anything since I have owned them. I tried everything, but I'm not giving up yet. I'm going to stomach tube feed them if they won't start eating soon. If they perish, I have learned my lesson not to buy a tortoise unless they can show me right then and there that they will eat immediately after placing food in the pen. My suggestion is to follow this advice in the future or buy a CB hatchling
Try to get your tortoise to the vet ASAP if the temperature increase does not correct the problem. It may have worms or other parasites that need to be removed. Good luck.

: Hey,
: Don't worry too much abou the little guy, mine didn't eat for almost a month when I got him. He's just not used to his new surroundings, but you might want to turn the heat up in his tank a bit, I've got mine at 85-90 during the day. Leave him by himself for a bit and he'll start eating and moving around once he gets used to the place.
: Take care,
: Keri

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]