return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Many questions on turtles and torts.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Christine on May 26, 2000 at 10:14:12:

Hello to all fellow turtle/tortoise owners! I am relatively new and inexperienced at this, so am going to rely on the help, knowledge and advice of the members of this forum.
I live in Key West, Fl and have 30+ Florida box turtles, and two yellow footed tortoises. They are kept in a large L shaped yard with rock gardens and also can hide under a small wood shed. There is lots of folliage for them to hide under.
1. Is there anything I can do to promote breeding? I am guessing this is the time of the year and I have put lot of fresh dirt in the rock garden to promote digging.
2. Is their an age when a female yellow foot is sexually mature. My male is very ready, but the female does not show any interest. The male is 31 years old and the female is slightly smaller than he is, but don't know her age.
3. The female yellow foot loves the chicken, hamburger meat, dog food that I put down for the turtles. I have been reading alot of pyramiding on this forum and think she already tends to have this condition. The male has a perfectly smooth shell, where hers is more pointed on each section of shell. I assumed it was a difference between the sexes. But I guess not.
4. The tortoises love hibiscus. Will fertilizing the plants, if they are not kept in the rock garden, cause any harmful effect if the flowers are eaten?
5. With so many box turtles, is their a good way to "mark" them so that I can identify them? Thought about writing a small number on their shell, but worry about it being toxic and absorbing into their system.
6. I have noticed a good amount of sites and information on Red footed tortoises, but very few on yellows. Is their a reason for this? Are Red's just more common, or easier or prefered?

Thank you so much for any information you are willing to share. And thank you for this site that allows support for each of us to learn about these fascinating creatures.
Christine

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]