return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Good and bad...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt J. on May 25, 2000 at 19:56:35:

In Reply to: Re: I mean importers ..you mean us bad guys/ posted by Logic in Action on May 24, 2000 at 20:00:45:

: Guess I'm one of the lucky guys. Two of my spiders have laid one egg each, in the last 30 days.

Yeah, pretty lucky! Did you get them direct? (ie: You landed them and not a broker?)

: I regularly use oxytosin both for medicinal purposes and as a farming technique.

For medicinal purposes I think it's fine. To farm??? Well, that shows a lack of ability to properly care for and naturally reproduce any species you perform this with. Kind of like the frog guys you use LH hormone on their frogs to get instant results. It's a VERY lame thing in my book and shows a lack of husbandry competence.

: I received a 22 inch sulcutta 3 months ago and she was almost dead. Injecting oxytosin allowed her to dump the remains of ( 12?)eggs. Last week she dropped 22 perfect eggs. So, oxytosin is good?

Very good! It's nice to hear a success story like that.

: I also " farm " russian tortoises using oxytosin. So, this is bad?

In my opinion, yes. See four lines above.

: I'm not happy that the animals are being decimated. But I am happy to be one of those " suckers ".

If you are unhappy hearing animals are being decimated, then try naturally having them breed and keep serious track of your bloodlines if possible. It actually may make a difference in the future. You will be doing more good truly understanding your animals, than simply being a typical reptile dealer and going for the bottom line... Money generated at the expense of the animal.

Matt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]