return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Repti Therm_UTH  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Be a bit realistic

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Coralee on May 25, 2000 at 01:13:02:

In Reply to: Re: Be a bit realistic posted by Logic in Action on May 24, 2000 at 19:14:01:

I apologize for any rudeness.

I agree that importation has its benefits; witness the dealers who do their "hunting" in the Chinese food markets. I absolutely agree that importation may be the salvation of some species in the future.

However, I'm not sure how much of a help it is to the survival of Russian tortoises as a species to be taken out of the wild in such massive numbers. I wonder how many of these will end up in the hands of people who will breed them.. or even keep them alive for very long. These torts suffer the curse of being inexpensive. It makes me pretty sick at heart to see the large numbers of them now at local petstores, particularly since quite a few of them look well-worn and elderly, as if they had survived perfectly well for many years in the wild. I don't think that their chance for survival is much better in the giant petstore chain than it was in the farmer's field.

I'm afraid that not even a small percentage of these imports will be bred.

I'm by no means a PETA-type animal rights nut that believes all torts belong in the wild. Responsible enlightened ownership and captive breeding is certainly a great benefit to many species. I just don't like seeing animals become disposable because they are plentiful and cheap.

Coralee

: Thanks for your response. I was expecting some truly rude words. Thanks for the shock.

: No, the Tortoises don't swoop. They creep in, en mass and devour the sweet young crops.

: I don't believe they shoud be slaughtered because there are millions of them. In the future, there won't be millions of them. I have no sympathy for the farmers but was trying to show the correlation between price and availability.

: They could be raised for much less than they sell for in the US, but, their is not enough profit in it for people to do so. So, the question then becomes...at what point is it profitable enough to raise them, instead of importing them?

: In Europe, it is highly profitable and so the animals are raised in numbers. Importation stopped and prices jumped. The animals that were no longer exported are now mink food.

: Is it better to have them here, in the US, where they can be raised...or ground up for protein for someones nice new mink coat?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]