return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Be a bit realistic

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mathieu on May 24, 2000 at 19:01:09:

In Reply to: Re: Be a bit realistic posted by Logic in Action on May 24, 2000 at 15:37:16:

: Malagasy Spiders ( over 2000 ) are being imported into the US (Legally) for the first time in many years. Because of this, the price is high. Do you really think for even a moment that the exporters had to search hard to find them. They just go to the market place and buy all the Stars, Radiated and Spiders that the locals were going to eat. About $1.00 each US.

: One country's trash is another countries treasure. More Spiders are killed every year on the roads in Madagascar than are exported. Who knows how many are eaten. Everyone stands for animal protection ( for one reason or another )but in the end, you have to ultimately become a bit realistic...

hi
I agree. We often have an unrealistic view of the situation in a country exporting wild tortoises or other wild animals. When we see a wild caught specimen, we see a cute little tortoise that was cruely separated from the joyous heaven of wild life. But for an example, go see how local south american tribes deal with the red foot tortoise in their daily activities and you will surprise yourself saying out loud to everyone:" Hey!!! What's wrong with importation??"

I dont say i am pro-importation or such. I know there is a lot of abuse everywhere. But there is always two sides and we seem to always tend toward one and forget (or refuse to see) the other.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]