return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Killers, I mean importers are bothering me. (shops too)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tortoise on May 24, 2000 at 06:11:31:

In Reply to: Killers, I mean importers are bothering me. (shops too) posted by Kevin on May 24, 2000 at 01:26:22:

You are right they are decimated! In Europe they are not allowed to be imported anymore (only CB at Prices around 100$ per hatchling,adults are impossible to obtain!)This species is actually listet on CITES APPENDIX 2! which means that it is an endangered species! but importers dont care about laws i think, and as long as rusians need the money they will export as many as possible, illegally or not!.
Russia simply has to import them cause they need money! And the US Fisheries Service seems to doesnt care about it.
Look at the current Spider and flatshell tortoise import from madagascar! more than 2000 have already been imported (legaly or illegaly or pseudolegaly ) into the states! P.planicauda is actually one of the 5 most endangered tortoises in the world!
To come back to horsfields: 'Many populations have been destroyed because of stupid importers!
They are no way really easy to keep and y would wonder if half of the imports into the states will survive more than 1 or 2 years!
In europe for example you can only get captive bred horsfields! but in the states noone cares about breeding them because they are imported in huge number (the same thing happen at the moment in the states that has happen in the 1960 in Europe! Thousands of torts are imported, but less than 20% will survive! why cant humans learn from error ?!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]