return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Pyramiding discussion continued

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A. C. Highfield on May 22, 2000 at 05:33:57:

In Reply to: Re: Pyramiding discussion continued posted by Richard Fife on May 22, 2000 at 00:04:24:

: It is possible to accelerate a tortoise’s growth without causing any harm (even long term). I am very concerned for the health of all the tortoises I raise. I think that most other breeders do also.

: I am glad to hear that you would pay what ever it took to get a legal 4-inch captive hatched and raised tortoise. Unfortunately from my experiance most people won’t. They would much rather buy an illegal hatchling or a wild caught animal. As people become more educated this will change.

: Incidentally for years people were under the impression that accelerating a snake’s growth would jeopardize or shorten the life of the snake. This has proven to be untrue. There are longevity records for captive hatched snakes that were raised to breeding size in a fraction of what it would take in nature. I think this will be true for tortoises also. Remember I am only talking about raising tortoises to 4-inches. It takes a little over a year for me to raise a leopard tortoise to 4-inches, so thats not real fast. Again I am trying to bring out the idea that environmental conditions are very important. I believe they play a major role in the development of a tortoise’s shell. Thank you for your input.

Richard,

Firstly. Big difference between snakes and grazing herbivores. Totally diffent digestive tract chemistry and water balance needs.

Second, I have autopsied many, many tortoises over the years and I consistently find damaged liver/kidneys in animals subjected to high growth rates. Smoothness of shell is very far from the only criteria to be considered. Come back in 25, 50 and 75 years and tell me that there are no long term health problems! Bottom line is that you cannot know.

FWIW, there is a draft of some of my latest work in this field at the link below. Basically addressing environment and the nutrition/environment interface. It has never been our position that high protein is the *only* factor in how well (or badly) a tortoise grows - merely that it is undoubtedly the major factor, by a mile. Climate, temperature and activity cycles do play a role - but indirectly because they influence digestive eficiency, transit times, etc.

Regards,

Andy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]