return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Pyramiding discussion continued

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard Fife on May 21, 2000 at 20:31:15:

My remarks have stimulated some very interesting discussions. I hope that no one has taken personal offense at my opinion concerning the cause of pyramiding. Be assured that I don’t recommend feeding poor diets or diets too high in protein to grazing tortoises. It is however very important to remember that protein provides amino acids to the body, which are absorbed and become new body proteins. It is these proteins that are responsible for shell growth whether it is normal shell growth or irregular growth. I believe that shell growth and the overall health of a tortoise is a function of many aspects including diet and the environment. We need to consider protein, calcium/phosphorus ratios, fiber, water intake, temperature, humidity, UV, as well as many other things.

Tortoise breeders in the USA have a major problem to confront. It is illegal to sell or distribute their captive-bred offspring until they are 4-inches. In order to distribute captive-bred tortoises to the hobbyist at a cost that can compete with wild caught tortoises they must grow fast. We either do this or forget about captive breeding and just continue taking from the wild! I have continued to promote new legislation that would allow the sale of captive-bred tortoises but it is difficult to get the necessary support.

In the process of trying to produce an affordable captive hatched 4-inch tortoise I made an interesting discovery. I found that the common pyramiding, associated with increased growth stimulated by increased protein could be controlled by manipulating environmental conditions. I also found that if these environmental conditions were correct that the increased protein (within limits) would not result in heath problems.

I appreciate the work and time that Andy and many others have done in trying to resolve the problems of raising captive-bred tortoises. Their work has been extremely valuable! I believe we need to keep digging to discover the complete picture. All too often we build a hypothesis around a preconceived opinion and don’t continue to search. I believe this issue warrants continued research in areas we haven’t looked at before.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]