return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Protein doesn't cause pyramiding!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A. C. Highfield on May 21, 2000 at 02:13:06:

In Reply to: Protein doesn't cause pyramiding! posted by Richard Fife on May 19, 2000 at 11:00:38:

My Dear Richard,

Firstly, you have a very strange definition of the term "myth". For what it is worth, almost 20 years of field and laboratory studies, fully repeatable, backed up by sound biology, reinforced by hundreds of clininal case studies seems to me to be stretching the terms somewhat!

Precisely why and how protein levels in food result in pyramiding are extremely straightforward to comprehend, and you can indeed repeat the experiments yourself. You are correct in stating that some aspects of the biological interractions are quite complex - but this is, I fear, what has led your conclusions astray. You simply do not seem to understand what is really going on in terms of the nutrition/environment interface.

I shall expound shortly at some length to shed a bit more light on this, as it is plainly confusing to many...

However, before I do so, perhaps I could request your forbearance in explaining the following:-

1. One population of T. g. graeca in S. Morocco. 30% of the population live in the Opuntia hedgerows next to planted fields of French beans and Alfalfa. All of these tortoises have classic "pryamiding" with evidence of very high growth rates and lumpy shells. The remaining tortoises live in uncultivated field borders and exhibit normal growth. You explanation, please?

2. What is the mechanism/link between a) Temperature and growth b) Humidity/Hydration status and growth?

As you seem so determined to "prove" that I'm wrong, the least you can do is enlighten me as to why you think you are right! .

Regards,

Andy C. Highfield
http://www.tortoisetrust.org

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: