return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Protein doesn't cause pyramiding!/ A point to ponder!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on May 19, 2000 at 16:47:31:

In Reply to: Re: Protein doesn't cause pyramiding!/ A point to ponder! posted by Ed on May 19, 2000 at 15:58:08:

: Terry,
: All that can be accurately stated from your experience is that bananas may cause liver damage not that high protein foods do. Bananas are also high in potassium, maybe it's because of that. Your experience does not support your conclusion; "So foods high in protein do cause problems.".

Ed,
I wasn't speaking only from my own experience, but rather the knowledge and experience of others who have kept tortoises for many, many years.
As I mentioned in my post I am not sure of the exact diet of the sulcata in question, but believe it contained a large amount of bananas. And other foods high in protein.
My sulcatas are on a relativly low protein diet,( mostly grazing) and have shown great improvement. My larger female who was on a diet of Mazuri chow for the first years of her life, and housed indoors,
Came to us with various health problems, including pyramiding, and bladder stones.
Two years of living outside has greatly improved her health, soft urates, not hard concentrated ones, the size of chicken eggs.
Her pyramiding is greatly reduced also.

I have followed the advise of experienced keepers many of whom keep sulcatas themselves. By following their advise I have much healthier, less pyramided torts, nicely hydrated with soft urates.

I prefer not to feed high protein foods to a grazing herbivore such as a sulcata.
Foods such as Mazuri chow and other pelleted foods, dog food or protein rich vegetables.
You're right maybe my experience doesn't mean much, but by listening to the advise of people with very healthy sulcatas, I in turn have healthy sulcatas out grazing in my yard.

Maybe some people believe that feeding high protein foods to a grazing herbivore is just fine, that is their opinion, and they are entitled to it. We can't agree on everything all the time.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]