return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: must be paranoid!! leopard question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on May 16, 2000 at 14:53:50:

In Reply to: must be paranoid!! leopard question posted by KELLY on May 16, 2000 at 13:08:49:

Kelly,
the absolute first thing I do with any turtle or tortoise rescue or otherwise is take it to the vet.
Often the tortoise will provide a stool sample on the way to or at the vets.

I would forget the chow and grapes, and offer a mixture of leafy greens with freshly clipped grasses and ground or chopped up Timothy Hay mixed in.
Favorite foods for my leopards were endive, they loved it and romaine, also red hibiscus flowers, so if you have hibiscus bushes offer the flowers.
I always recommend planting a few hibiscus bushes to sulcata and leopard keepers, out of the tortoises area though, or they'll eat the entire bush!
You can also add, endive, romaine, watercress, mustard greens, escarole, chicory, dandelions, red and green leaf lettuce to the mix. But make sure you add in the grasses and timothy hay, for the fiber it provides.
Of course grazing is the way to go, so if possible let it graze on a mixture of grasses, clovers and other edible plants.
I really recommend you subscribe to the Tortoise discussion lists such as the Tortoise Trust list.
Many well known experts and veterinarians as well as long time and very experienced keepers are subscribed.
So expert advise is only an email away.
Terry.

: ok, by now I'm sure your all sick of me posting things about my bad luck with leopards. My newest one hasn't eaten scince he arrived on saturday. I know its only been a few days, but I'm paranoid. I think I must be a natural Leopard tort. repellent! He looks at food, but won't eat. I have tried EVERYTHING...grasses, dandelions, Mazuri Tortoise Chow, various greens, grapes, ect. He does not appear to have any problems other than being light weight, which is why this concerns me. How long is too long? I plan on treating him for parasites once I get him eating. He is not weak, just thin. Any help would be appreciated.
: Thanks, KElly
: P.S. - No offense, please avoid asking if my temps are correct and if he has access to water, hydration, ect, ect. Everthing is as it should be. And no, no urine or fecal output has been noted yet either. :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]