kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Well...let me take a shot at it

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Dave Ennis on March 06, 2002 at 21:23:16:

In Reply to: Frustrated with website information about Russian tort.diet posted by Reptiles on March 06, 2002 at 20:48:26:

I have Russians and I experienced the same contradictions as I did my diet research. Here's what I found to be consistent though: Russians, like all herbivorous species of Tortoises, need lots of calcium, low protein, and lots of fibre. And we stay away from foods that contain high amounts of oxalic acid, which binds with calcium and renders it unabsorbable. Phosphorus also inhibits the absorption of calcium but phosphorus is needed too. So the calcium to phosphoru ratio should be better than 1:1, 2:1 or higher is desirable. I'm providing a link which I feel is solid info especially since some of it comes from Andy Highfield who has written numerous books on turtle and torts and is regarded as an authority on the subject.
I would also like to say that torts should not have a "main diet". There should be a variety of foods given to them. A different food for each day of the week lets say. I feed mine romaine Lettuce,dandelion greens,collard greens,sow thistle,fruitless mulberry leaves,tomatoes with calcium and vitamin supps sprinkled on,mixed vegatables with same supps,cranberries and/or strawberries as a treat,petunias(flowers and leaves),gaillardia flowers,rose petals,assorted weeds,orange honeysuckle flowers,canna lily flowers,coreopsis flowers,carrots. That's a pretty good diet, don't you think?
http://home.earthlink.net/~rednine/nutrient.htm

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]