return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: BEGINNER TORT FOR NOT SO BEGINNER

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on May 10, 2000 at 12:55:30:

In Reply to: BEGINNER TORT FOR NOT SO BEGINNER posted by DAN on May 10, 2000 at 02:37:21:

My first tortoise was a sulcata.
But I did my research first and live in a state where they can be housed outdoors year round.
I chose to get a sub adult sulcata, she was 13" and weighed around 19lbs when she arrived.
Two years later she weighs around 45lbs and I have added a 150lb male to my little herd also.

Sulcatas and redfoots are wonderful tortoises , sulcatas are fairly easy to keep if you have the room and the correct climate.Arid and warm for a sulcata, more humid for a redfoot.
I would not recommend a sulcata if you do not live in a warmer state.
These are fast growing, very active torts that do not do well in cramped conditions.
Their huge size makes it almost impossible to house them indoors.
As others have stated please do your research before buying.
I know of people who have had to find homes for their once tiny sulcata hatchlings, in just 2-4 years.
As they quickly outgrew any indoor enclosures their keepers could provide.
IF you have a large safe yard, and the correct climate I recommend an adult sub/adult sulcata over a hatchling, there are plenty of larger sulcatas that need rehoming so you could adopt one.
But make sure that everything is ready for any tortoise you decoide to get, BEFORE you bring it home.And that you have thouroughly researched all aspects of it's care.
Terry.

: I'VE BEEN A HERPER FOR THE PAST 15 YEARS, KEEPING MOSTLY SNAKES AND LIZARDS, AND AM PONDERING THE AQUISITION OF A TORTOISE. I'VE NARROWED MY CHOICE DOWN TO TWO TORTS, RED FOOT AND SULCATTA.
: I'M WELL AWARE OF THEIR ADULT SIZE, BUT I'M ALSO AWARE THAT TORTOISES DON'T GROW AS FAST AS MY PREVIOUS CAPTIVES, WHITH WILL GIVE ME ENOUGH TIME TO ADJUST. WILL APRECIATE ANY INPUT.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]