return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Repti Therm_UTH  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: i have a sulcatta tortoise and am now afraid of exotic ticks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marissa on May 08, 2000 at 21:40:20:

In Reply to: i have a sulcatta tortoise and am now afraid of exotic ticks posted by Jill on May 08, 2000 at 19:25:41:

I'd worry more about the safety of your tortoise with your dog..but seriously,
heartwater is a tick-borne disease that only affects hooved animals (cows, etc.) and
the ticks can be carried on anything. Two wild-caught import sulcatas were found to be
the original carriers of two ticks that brought the disease into the US but that might be
questionable as well. With a hatchling captive-bred sulcata, I woudn't worry about it.
I'd worry more about what you will eventually do with a sulcata in NYC. I'm not picking on
you but I had a 3 year old sulcata and I live in Long Island and had to adopt my own tortoise out
to a friend in California because I couldn't provide the right kind of life and enough space with the
right type of weather. At 3 my sulcata was 4lbs. and 7" long and lived in a 3x6 foot pen...and that was
too small even. Now he is in CA in a 30 square foot pen where he lives outside almost all year round.
Sorry, just the fax ma'am...but please let me know if you need any help with husbandry or care information
after all we are practically neighbors I work in NYC as well :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]