kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: you gotta be kidding, haven't heard of Active UV heat bulbs???...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by nathan on March 06, 2002 at 08:13:41:

In Reply to: you gotta be kidding, haven't heard of Active UV heat bulbs???... posted by Niki on March 05, 2002 at 21:42:58:

I haven't tried these yet, but every turtle/tortoise keeper I know who has used them has reported that they are not worth it. Apparently they burn out to quickly, between 3-5 months for most of them. One herper used a uv meter on them and at 3 months they were equal to a reptisun 5.0, at 6 months they were lower, and almost all effect was gone by 9 months on the few bulbs that lasted that long. Compare that with a reptisun 5.0 that holds the majority of it's UV output for up to a year and rarely burn out...

the mercury vapor bulbs can't be used on small tanks, either (small being less than 70 gallons or so) or you risk boiling your animals.

I think probably in a few years these bulbs will be working better, they are a great idea, just need refinement. In the meantime I'll just keep my guys outdoors, and keep reptisuns on my hatchlings.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]