return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Thank me in 10 years when you have a healthy Dynotort.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Giovanni on May 05, 2000 at 08:37:38:

In Reply to: Hey, Thanks a ton!!!!!!! posted by T®mmy B®y on May 04, 2000 at 11:28:19:

: Hey you did JUST what I wanted people to do to the info! Thanks a big one! I'll make all the changes soon and research some more and then research some more and ask alot more before posting it on my site. Thanks again!!!!

:
: : : But before I put it on the net I would like you all ( If you want) to: COPY it to a new post, and change it anyway you see fit. JUst make sure the info you change is TRUE info! I know that you all will give true info, and I thank you alot for all your time! thanks for being a part of all this!

: : :
: : : How to care for your African Spur Thighed Tortoise !

: : : Unlike water turtles, Sulcatas have to eat on land!
: : : Tortoises eat different things, but the main part of Sulcata's diet consists of
: : : fruit and vegetables.

: : CORRECTION: The Geochelone Sulcata is a desert tortoise, the bulk of it's diet should be grass
: : and weeds ( come to my house and watch one of mine in the back yard) supplemented with high calcium to phosporous vegetable matter (turnip,collards, mustard greens, endive,dandelion, etc.) , fruit is the "TREAT" food and should not be given in eccess.

: : It is a very good idea also to feed the young some sort of pellet, I
: : : feed mine Zoo Med's Box Turtle and Tortoise food® a couple times a week.

: : Good idea maybe for you, but I would check the protein level of that swack. I would never feed
: : a " walking weed eater" anything it can't find
: : in the desert, unless it's a OEM part, or an
: : approved one. With the exception of a calcium supplement.

: :
: : And for
: : : a snack, I give my tortoise romaine lettuce. Because there really isn't that much
: : : nutrition in lettuce.

: : I would replace the Romaine with Endive/Chicory
: : If I were you.

: : I spray it with ESU Reptile® Iguana calcium spray™.All you
: : : have to do is spray it on the food and let it dry for about 20 seconds. I use this
: : : calcium spray on much of his food.

: : I'm not very familiar with things like that, as I try and keep my feeding and supplimenting as natural as possible. It does however sound cool,
: : but you may be wasting your money. I saw this stuff at the market called " DENSITY" some type of sport water. It boasted 10% calcium on the label, and cost 50 cents a pint. If your spurred
: : drinks water you may want to try it. Mine do rarely and my 12 year old never does.

: : : I suggest you buy a UVB light for you tortoise, if you are going to keep him/her
: : : inside. The UVB gives the turtle vitamins that are needed for him/her to grow

: : Good, just read somemore on UVB to give an accurate reason why.

: : : healthy and live a longer life.
: : : Many kinds of tortoises get REALLY BIG, like the African Spur Thighed Tortoise.
: : : That's why you need a REALLY BIG tank/enclosure. For a baby tortoise I would
: : : recammend you get no smaller then a 55 gallon tank. This way you are giving the
: : : turtle lots of space to grow and roam. Because you won't be needing to fill the tank
: : : with water, most pet shops offer "critter cages" which are larger tanks that have
: : : thinner glass. Even though they are bigger, they usually don't cost more than a
: : : smaller tank with thicker glass. Got that? *SMILES*

: : By using a glass tank you are creating a disapation of moisture inside the tank. The best way for you to see how much water is actually vaporating is by doing this. Put a cup of water
: : in the tank that cannot be drank. Track how long it takes the cup to vaporate. THAT is what is happening to the tortoise, dehydration. If you must have the tort in a glass tank I would make sure the humidity level is at least 50% at all times, and you bathe the tort EVERYDAY FOR NO LESS
: : THAN 15 MINUTES. Why? because it's slowly getting
: : as dry as freeze dried coffee. My baby enclosure is completely screened to create an arid desert low humidity environment. And I still bathe it everyday.

:
: : : Different people like to use different materials for the bottom of the turtles tank,
: : : like: newspaper, carpet, cypress mulch, peat moss, sand. Some of these thing work
: : : very well because it is easy to clean. But you need to be careful with what you use!
: : : For instance, sand, yeah, it's pretty and it makes it look like the tortoise is in it's
: : : natural home, however, I don't use sand because it usually sticks to their food and
: : : since they don't have kitchen sinks in which to wash it off in, they eat it. And if you
: : : don't like to eat sand, I don't think they would like to eat sand either! Eventhough it
: : : isn't as pretty, I sometimes use newspaper because of how easy it is to change.

: : Pretty good, but I do suggest you research substrates better.

: : : Tortoises also need a water dish. Just like you and me they need water to drink.
: : : For smaller turtles, a glass pie pan will do fine, but when your tortoise get larger a
: : : child's swimming pool works great!

: : Small tortoises have drowned in pie pans. You want
: : a very shallow water dish that they can drink from and walk through. If it isn't fit to meet the requirements of the enclosure, you must aquit.

: : Just some of my observations. Don't take in as a blast at all, but if your posting info on the web that isn't accurate you will get alot of people blasting you..lol. Hey good luck on your website.

: : Ciao'

: : Giovanni

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]