return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: petco strikes again

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mandy on May 04, 2000 at 22:39:43:

In Reply to: Re: petco strikes again posted by Joey on April 22, 2000 at 21:39:08:

I have actually looking at the Russians at petco, trying to decide whether to sae one, and make them think that there is a market for them, or do nothing. I was talking to the employee there.... who is against turtles in petstores... and he told me that the Petco headqaurters auto ships the turltes to all the petcos... whether they want them or not. He also said that they are dewormed before... but who knows????

: I am not saying that there is not individual stores that treat their reptiles as well as the best store owned by a hobbyist. The local store was frightning the first couple years it was open. they had leopard geckos tailess in the back room (not fallen off but eaten from being housed with plated lizards)firebelly toads that could only move in circles from bieng dropped constantly by staff.. One story I remember is when they got a couple dozen pac-man frogs in and put them in a tank at 90' plus and they died quickly -all 36 I beleive. A friend and one of our local herp club officials is assistant manager there now.. and the reptiles are well taken care of.. but the point being I am sure this is not the case everywhere.. Megastores carry products whether they have a knowledgable staff or not.. (which is hard for them to get most likely being the resentment held for them by a lot of hobbyist) I am also sure that there are several stores that sell reptiles for the wrong motives and do not themselves know how to care for them or do not make sure their clientele does either. But everytime I used to enter our local store I found myself taking over a transaction telling he buyer how to take care of the animal he was purchasing because he/she nor the store personel knew the answer.. eventually when I was in they would ask for my help.. this showed a desire for them to learn.. I am not out to say shut these superstores down.. but maybe quite a few of them should acquire proper staff and equipment before they dwelve into the business of selling reptiles..especially tortoises which do not farewell in the hands of a lot of first time reptile owners (again I could list many many exemptions here of people that did a great job first time around.) You here a lot more horror stories about petco's petsmart's et cetra than local family owned stores.. and people need to open their eyes and help fix the problem or at least help the creatures that did not ask to be put on a shelf and abused by an ignorant keeper. afterall the animal should come first..

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]