return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re:No tortoise can compare with my friend's Jack

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Morgan on May 04, 2000 at 13:49:34:

In Reply to: Re:No tortoise can compare with my friend's Jack posted by LauraO on May 04, 2000 at 09:54:21:

Russians are very active, curious, fast little buggers. On top of that they love to burrow - in fact, they spend most of their time burrowing!

By "destroyed" I meant that water bowls were tipped over, substrate was everywhere, food was everywhere - a big mess daily. Not to mention the fact that because they are so active their digestive system seems to be stuck on "high". My Russian pooped every day. And then stomped through it and tried to burrow in it, and well, you get the picture.....

It wasn't so much the type of enclosure - anything will hold them, but they may injure themselves with prolonged exposure to a habitat that doesn't allow them to burrow.

When setting up your summer pen, keep in mind that in the wild they sometimes dig burrows up to 5-6 feet deep. If I were to get one of these guys again, my outdoor burrow would be inside a large box structure, sunk into the ground. That may be extreme, and I'm sure other Russian owners have different ways of dealing with this issue.

Ideal hibernation body temperature range is 39-41F. You don't have to worry about that for a few months, and you shouldn't hibernate any animal that is underweight or sick, so check things out in September.

I hope that helps some! They are great little tortoises with tons of personality, but again - sort of like Godzilla on a rampage!

: : Russell terrier! I live in an apartment now myself. What types of enclosures did you try? What exactly do you mean by "destroyed?" I may have a way of giving them a summer pen, but in winter they will have to make do with the indoors. Did you let them hibernate? If so, at what temp? Thanks for all the advice. I have Panacur at home, but I will bring them into my vet since I don't know how to allow for the shell when determining body weight.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]