return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: DANDELIONS FOR TORTOISES??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on May 03, 2000 at 15:37:39:

In Reply to: DANDELIONS FOR TORTOISES?? posted by Miguel on May 03, 2000 at 14:45:11:

Yes they are found all over the place this time of year and they do have yellow flowers that turn into the cotton balls. Those cotton balls are all seeds.

My sulcata loves dandelions. He/She loves to eat both the arrow shaped leaves and the yellow flower. If I place yard grass, dandelions and clover in front of him/her it will eat the clover first and then the dandelions next. I offer both the dandelion leaves and the yellow flower on a regular basis. I also offer some other weeds that I have growing in my yard but I can't seem to remember its names. Clover is my tortoise favorite food.

I have heard on here that dandelions along with rye grass, clover and other yard weeds are excellent foods to offer a tortoise. Mine loves it! Every now and then I will offer some table food like Romaine lettuce, endive, peas, carrots and corn, but I must say I only do this about once or twice a week. No more than that. Yard weeds are very good food for a tortoise, but make sure you know what you are offering first and make sure you don't offer the tortoise chemically treated yard grass.

I really don't know what the nutritional value dandelions have. So offer an equal amount of other weeds from your yard. Timothy, rye grasses, clover. All I can say is mine loves it and growing nicely with no pyramiding problems.

Hope this helps.

Mark

: Hi all. I have some questions about the plant Dandelions. First of all, are dandelions the flowers that get those small yellow flowers that eventually turn into " white cotton balls" that if you blow on them the white part comes of very easily?
: From what I understand, dandelions also have arrow shaped leaves, and that dandelions are an excellent source of food for tortoises....is this true?

: My second question is, Can dandelions become a staple food for tortoises, or should I use it sparrigly?

: My third and last question is, what nutrional value do dandelins have?

:
: If you can help me answer any or all of these questions I will appreciate this very much. Thank you in advance, Miguel.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]