return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: fast growth?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on April 30, 2000 at 13:29:44:

In Reply to: fast growth? posted by Tim on April 30, 2000 at 12:05:37:

: I have been reading many of the foram Q&A and it seems my sulcata is growing faster than most despite feeding her less than most.
: She was only 1.7oz when I got her 6 months ago and has tripled her wt. since. I feed her about 1/2c. of food every other day.(mostly dandilions, clover,grass clippings, and a small amount of greens). Her growth rate really took off when I added proper lighting. Does this seem normal? Should I back off feeding even more? Do some sulcatas just grow faster than most? Also one more question. She always uses the coolest portion of her enclosure to deficate. It is easy to clean, but is this typical? Thanks Tim

Tim,
around two years ago I got my first sulcata, a 13" female who weighed around 15lbs.
She was light colored and pyramided, she had been housed indoors her entire life and fed mazuri chow :o(
Two years later she weighs 45lbs and her carapace has smoothed out nicely already, the pyramiding greatly reduced.
She went through a huge growth spurt soon after arriving, I believe this was due to the fact that she now lives outdoors with plenty of sun and is on a healthy, mostly grazing diet.
The first year she had me worried as she grew so much.I thought she would burst at the seams if she grew any more!
She is still growing but now it is slower, her initial growth spurt seems to be over.
I truely believe that the change from an indoor life and poor diet , to an outdoor life with plenty of sun and a more natural diet , bought on her growth spurt.

The fact that the new growth is smooth and her pyramiding so reduced makes me believe that all is well!

In short the improved lighting could have been a factor in your torts growth spurt!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]