kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: What to get?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by robert on March 05, 2002 at 15:38:16:

In Reply to: What to get? posted by Julie on March 05, 2002 at 13:27:24:

Hey I live in Fresno too. I have a sulcata which is going to get real big. She is about 8 inches right now. I also have a russian tortoise which is about 4 inches and two softshells. I have to bring in the sulcata in the winter and even now cause the night time weather is up and down right now. The russian hibernates in the winter. In the summer they are all outside all the time. If you have any questions feel free to email me. What EJ said about CTTC is also a good route to go. I have dealt with them and I could get you a number if you need it.

: Hi. My daughter currently has a year old Southern Painted turtle, and I want to get either a tortoise or a land turtle. I live in Fresno, CA. We have hot summers (100 or more for a few months), and our winter nights get below freezing (high 20s to low 30s) for about a month. I would like to set up a habitat outside. I can and am willing to provide everything that is needed. Eventually, I would like to get a breeding pair. Size and longevity are not an issue. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be a fairly hardy species that would do well in my climate?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]