return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Saw something upsetting in the petstore today....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by joey on April 27, 2000 at 22:55:25:

In Reply to: Re: Saw something upsetting in the petstore today.... posted by Foose on April 15, 2000 at 00:08:55:

I have seen the uninformed purchaser given no information scenario played out in at least a dozen pet shops ( I do alot of traveling in my business and make a point to stop at petshops that carry reptiles when I come to new towns) Many times I have stepped in and told the person buying the animal (IN FRONT OF THE PET SHOP PERSONNEL) how to take care of the animal and what he/she needs to acquire to do this.. 9 times out of ten I was thanked by the employee before I left since they were not aware of proper care themselves and usually their sale increased considerably because of my interference... My favorite case was in KC when a lady was buying two western garters (at $30 a pop) for her children and going to put them both in a five gallon tank with a incadescent fixture for heat and a piece of carpet for decorations (ok by the sales lady.. by the time I was done she left with two ten gallon tanks and tops, lizard litter, two heat mats, two hide boxes, water dishes and gut load for the prey animals.. this time though I was not thanked even though I gave sound feeding, handling, shedding advice and upped the sale at least $100... but the two freshly caught and probably heavily parasited snakes had a better chance at life and there keeper was a big step closer to being a informed reptile keeper.. I urge everyone if you see a sale progressing where you know the animal is going to suffer don't try to end it.. help the person (and the store) by giving proper husbandry information (and the by the way the sell that right over here) after a few times like this even the bottom line watching I am in it for the money stores will show people correct methods because there sells will be larger..

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]