return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Greek tortoises

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jerry Fife on April 26, 2000 at 20:41:01:

In Reply to: Re: Greek tortoises posted by kw on April 26, 2000 at 11:08:47:

Greek tortoises are an excellent tortoise for the Phoenix area, as are Russian, African Spurred, Hermans, and Marginated. I keep all these tortoises outside year round without additional heat. They will all eat burmuda grass and do well as long as you start with a healthly tortoise. Hatchlings should be in a protected area or kept inside until they have a little size. All tortoises kept outside must have shade areas for protection from the heat and cold. A pile of grass clipping will work for most, sulcatas will dig their own den, however they must have access to shade.

There are several local breeders of these tortoises and captive bred tortoises are always recommended. Richard is an excellent choice.

Leopard tortoises and many other species do well in Phoenix however most people provide additional heat in the winter for Leopards.

Good luck with your decision.

It has been an exciting week for me as my sulcatas and Russians have laid eggs and I have Star tortoises hatching!

Jerry Fife (Yes, Richard is my brother.)

: I have both Greek and Russian tortoises. My Greeks are both captive bred. One I got when she was just 4 weeks old, came from a breeder in S. CA. The other one is 3 years old, from a breeder in Arizona, Phoenix area I believe. I believe he has been keeping and breeding Greeks there for about 10 years. I don't see that keeping a Greek in Arizona would be a problem.
: I really haven't found my Greeks to be any more difficult than my Russians. I'd say the Russians are slightly more active. My female Greek is the first hatchling I ever got and it was no problem raising her and keeping her healthy.
: I personally think the Greeks are more attractive than Russians.
: If you choose something more suited to arid temps, isn't Richard Fife in Arizona? He breeds some really nice leopards and cannot ship them out of state right now due to the interstate shipping ban.
: Whatever you choose, I'd highly recommend only getting a captive bred tortoise. Years ago, I saw first hand how a lot of tortoises and reptiles arrive from importers and it wasn't a pretty sight. Especially if you are a first time tortoise owner, I'd recommend starting with captive bred since they tend to be healthier and adjust more easily to being kept as pets.
: I personally think any of the testudos tortoises are easy to keep (I've got Russians, Greeks, and an Egyptian.) I also keep hingebacks (much more difficult!), a red foot, and 3 beautiful Indian Star babies.
: If you keep your tortoise outdoors, please make sure the enclosure not only keeps the tortoise in, but that it also prevents any predators (hawks, raccoons, etc.) from getting in to harm your tortoise!
: kw
: : Are greek tortoises good beginning tortoises? I was think of getting one but it would have to live in my back yard for the whole year except for when it hibernates, rainy days, or something like that. I live in Arizona and the temperatures in the summer gets to 115 degrees and in the winter the lowest is about 30degrees at night and about 60 in the day. I have bermuda grass and a patch of dirt that I planted amny different types of greens in. Do you think a greek tortoise would be a good one to go with, or what kind would you recommend? Thanks alot!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]