return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Russian tortoise questions for a beginner (sorry, long...)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by brian m on April 26, 2000 at 01:06:33:

In Reply to: Russian tortoise questions for a beginner (sorry, long...) posted by Michelle on April 25, 2000 at 23:34:30:

: Hi everyone,

: I am have been researching and thinking about getting a Russian tort for awhile, but there are a couple of things I need clarified if possible. (Different caresheets always seem to have conflicting info.) I would just like to to get opinions from tortoise owners, and find out what works best for you.

: As far as substrate goes, I gather that alfalfa pellets are the best, but I really don't like the way they look, smell, or how prone to molding they are if they get wet and are not cleaned up immediately. (Used them with my blue-tongue skink for awhile.) Is there another substrate that would be safe to use? What about cypress mulch, reptile bark, aspen shavings? Any others?

: Also, I have had no luck in finding any captive bred animals of any age. I'd really like to get a captive bred hatchling, but can't locate one. If I get a wild collected specimen, what types of things do I need to do to make sure it is healthy? (ie: vet exam, fecal, worming, anything else?) About how much will that cost?

: Finally, I know that they are a species that hibernates, and have read the Tortoise Trust article on safer hibernation, but it all sounds a little scary to me still. What are everyone's experiences in hibernating Russians? Do they have to be hibernated or can they be OK without?

: Thanks to everyone in advance for your time & knowledge. I just want to make sure I can properly care for a tortoise before I get one. I look forward to your responses!

: -Michelle

hi Michelle

i hope that i can be of some assistance to you. i'm fairly new at dealing with russians bt will give you the information that i have.

as far as substrate i first used cyprus mulch and it worked pretty good for my girl. after that i tried fresh top soil and didn't like the moisture build up at the bottom of her encloser. so i just bought a new type of substrate that is very similar to rabbit pelets and i don't really care for the smell either.

i have not found any captive breed russians yet and saved mine from certain death from a pet shop that was baking her to death. i bought her for forty dollars this past november and ended up spending 120 in vet bills. i had them check just about everything they could check just to be on the safe side, and she was loaded with worms and a few other things.

as far as hibernation i didn't do it this winter but plan on doing it in the fall. so i'm not much help their.

their a neet tortoise from what i can see in mine i just wish she wasn't so nervous whenshe outrunning around. but then agaun what can you expect ehrn your taken away from you home in the wild. good luck with your search for one. brian m

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]