return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: HingBack Tortoises!! ( H E L P )

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marissa on April 24, 2000 at 21:15:44:

In Reply to: HingBack Tortoises!! ( H E L P ) posted by RKGJR on April 24, 2000 at 19:36:12:

Once again, a perfect example of why you research before you buy...they are not strictly herbivores, they are omnivores that require a low-light high humidity setup...K.Belliana can tolerate the driest and hottest of all Kinixys but even they need humid compared to other species. Most of them are WC so a vet visit for fecal check and subsequent deworming/deparatization if necessary is in order. You should have them on a moistened and humidity holding substrate like cypress mulch or peat/leaf litter. they don't get very big as far as tortoises get but are not very hardy or easy to keep...certainly not a "beginner" tortoise for anyone. Also, I've never heard of K.Greca are you sure you have a Hingeback and if so, are you sure they didn't mislabel it (unless I just never heard of it). I've only heard and known of K.Belliana, K.Homeana, K.Erosa. I've linked the Tortoise Trust care sheet on Hingebacks below. That should be most of the info you need. If you need more, let me know privately and I will provide you with more links...

: I have recently purchased 2 K.Greca hingback torts but cant find any info on them!!! I dont know if they are strictly herbivors or omnivorious!! I know they need humidity but how much?? How big do they get??? How much room is required for them??? Please answer all the questions if u can!! THANK YOU!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]