return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: help soon or my russians may die!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marissa on April 24, 2000 at 12:08:18:

In Reply to: help soon or my russians may die!!!! posted by HOOK on April 23, 2000 at 20:51:22:

Hook,

First of all, I'm not going to detail any real major suggestions to you...Heather has taken care of that already and everything she suggested is sound and should be followed. I would still not recommend using your aquarium, even a low-sided large Rubbermaid tub would be better. Glass traps heat more than any other enclosure type and will lead to or exacerbate dehydration. I would NOT recommend feeding them any dog food or tofu, these are herbivores and can go long times without food without starving..6 days is no big deal at all. MOst importantly is to hydrate them...the soakings (or bathings as George outlined) are imperative. I would suggest seeking medical attention and get a fecal sample run and screened for parasites and/or worms which might be your problem here (and with Russians, probably is). Get rid of the rocks, they are probably very cold and stay cold...use alfalfa pellets or Care FResh bedding (any pet shop usually). Immediately STOP feeding iceberg lettuce. You should have done your homework on this one...iceberg lettuce is at least 90% water and has no nutritional value whatsoever while taking up space in the system where nutritious foods can be. TRy chickory, escarole, watercress, dandelion/turnip/mustard greens instead. A mixture of those I mean. Very important to start soaking, get a vet visit, and change the enclosure..make sure they have a UVB light on them (REptisun 5.0%) as well as certainly a heat lamp. If they are too cold (or hot) they will not eat, or be healthy. Sounds like they may be too cold with no uvb or heating and probably have some worms or parasites to get rid of. Problems you can fix and fix quickly. DO NOT place this tank in the sunlight. Glass filters out all beneficial (UVB) rays from direct sunlight and the direct sunlight will heat up and can heat up the tank to very high temperatures...do not keep them in sunlight at all in the tank. Write me privately if you want more info or help :) zooglet@yahoo.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]