return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Some ideas - long

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by cleef on April 24, 2000 at 00:33:06:

In Reply to: Some ideas - long posted by Heather on April 23, 2000 at 21:50:06:

: :I keep them in a 55 gallon fish tank,

: Russians really do the best in a secure outdoor enclosure. If you cannot provide that right now then at least get rid of the fish tank. Go to Walmart, K-mart, or Home Depot and buy the largest Rubbermaid type container you can buy.
: Fill it with a 50-50 mix of sterilized play sand and pesticide/fertilizer/additive/perlite free potting soil.
hi
if i were you i would try tofu or canned dog they should
start eating at the very least you will
something in their stomachs.

: :receive a little bit of sunlight at one end of the tank only, for about 3-4 in the morning.

: Buy a full spectrum light that states it provides UVB light, buy a basking lamp, and two thermometers. Put the thermometers at the two ends of the enclosure. Put the basking lamp at one end. Use the basking lamp and other heat sources if necessary to make a "warm end" of about 80-85 degrees. (NO HOTTER THAN 85) and then let the other end stay cool, say around 70 degrees. This way the tortoises can thermoregulate - heat up and cool off as they need to.

: Provide good sized hide boxes at the cool end of the enclosure.
:
: :I use rocks just like in an aquariam, about 2-3 inches deep.

: They need a substrate they can dig into, rocks will not do.

: :A shallow bowl for water.

: This is fine. You might also want to soak them a couple of times a week. I might soak them daily right now if you suspect they are sick.

: :I was feeding them romaine lettuce and iceberg, tried to give dandilions, carrots and parsley, but to no avail.

: Dump the iceburg - it has no nutritional value and get rid of the parsley -it is not good for them.
: To the Romaine and danelion flowers and leaves add chickory, endive, and escarole. Feed spineless cactus pads and edible flowers like hibiscus, nasturtium, pansies, etc.
: Buy some grazing mix and plant a grass/weeds/edible plants dish garden for them.
: You can buy these from

: TCC www.turtlecafe.net
: Annie www.turtlestuff.com

: You should also provide a calcium supplement. These and other supplements are available for sale at both of the above websites.

: :They seam as if they want to hibernate, they seem sluggish and weeka

: If the temperatures are too cold or two hot, the tortoises will be inactive. They may also be sick.
: I suggest you take them to a herp vet for a check up and a fecal exam to check for parasites.
: You can look at this site for a herp vet -http://www.sonic.net/melissk/society.html#societies

: Good luck

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]