return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Did I do the right thing?...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt L on April 21, 2000 at 19:38:37:

In Reply to: Did I do the right thing?... posted by Sharif on April 21, 2000 at 16:28:24:

Crows are generally scavengers, NOT hunters. Perhaps the rabbit was dead recently before the crow was there. Also in regaurds to the basement window pits.... put a screen over them, or they make plastic covers also... Just a suggestion

Matt L

: When I was reading the posts here on kingsnake, I heard a squeeling sound outside. I have a room in the basement and the window is facing the backyard. I thought it was an animal in distress and I quickly put on my shoes and rushed outside to see what happened. There i found a big black crow and a tiny gray bunny/hare. The Crow was about to peck at it when it saw me and flew off. I went to see if the bunny is ok, and the bunny stopped moving and was limp. I thought it could be very weak after the incident or it was killed. I called the animal control and a female police dispatcher answered. I told her what has happened, and she said the lady that goes to visit these situations is off on fridays and saturdays. She then basically hanged up. I used a dust pan to pick up the little bunny beig afraid it might have rabies or some other diseases and examined it. its eye was open and the bottom eye lid has tiny traces of blood. it was wet from the damp rain so i used a paper towel to dry it off a bit. I left the bunny in the garage for 15 min. and came back. it was in the same position and i checked to see if its belly was moving (seeing if its breathing). I then waved my hands at the bunny's face to see if its pupils would move. no responce. I left it ther for 10 mins. came back and nothing. i went back to the exact same spot where i found the bunny and began digging a hole. I placed a piece of paper in the dirt. I went back to the bunny which was wrapped in paper towel and placed it in a plastice grocery bag. i gently wrapped it and placed it on the paper in the hole. I placed another piece of paper above the wrapped bunny and buried it. The crow was watching me from the trees 40 yards away and i was mad at them. I was sad and am a bit haunted by this incident that happened less than 30 mins. ago. did i do the right thing??? was there anything i could have done?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]