return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Conservation Rant

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nigel Carter on April 21, 2000 at 16:01:35:

In Reply to: Re: Care sheets??? posted by Bob on April 21, 2000 at 07:53:12:

:Do those who are not prepared and inexperienced expect the tortoise to go inot a self imposed cryogenic state while they undergo their learning curve trying to figure out which end is up. Especially with fresh imports, arriving typically :dehydrated, malnourished, stressed out, :overparasitised some to a point with internal lower GI lesions. Experience needed immediately.

All very true - anyone buying WC herps needs to make a commitment to their animals by taking them straight to an experienced vet. It shames me to see people buying even "common" WC herps cheaply and then figuring that a $30 animal isn`t worth the $100 vet bill - experience is cheap to attain if you can buy, allow to die, buy again and repeat the cycle - pity the poor animals though. Here in southern cal I see plenty of Russian torts very cheap and lots being sold as a "great first tortoise" - I just can`t really see then lasting more than 12 months in this climate in tha hands of anyone with no experience. I`ve kept plenty of species and luckily my spiders came from the first import and were treated for a month by a real expert to get them in tip-top shape - I`m still babying them now though as this species really needs a foothold in captivity.

: My point is merely that Pyxidea do not make good candidates for those not extremely experienced. No doubt I, in my humble opinion, believe that every Madagascarine tortoise is better in Europe or here in captivity in viable breeding groups awaiting for the time when our morals can :include a component for nature to exist unmolested. That is clearly not the case in Madagascar or anywhere in Asia. Not likely for some time. The responsibility for species survival may well fall onto the shoulders of herpers to keep these guys alive until that day approaches.

No, they don`t make a good starter species. They are rare and very desirable, which makes them attractive purchases, but until CB are being offered this is potentially a place to lose a great deal of money fast as well as to lose animals important to the survival of the species. The unfortunate plavce they are in in the wild is very much the same as the vast majority of Madagascan flora and fauna, i.e. in serious danger of extinction within 100 years. As with the majority of endangered species, collecting does play a role in the decimation of wild populations, but a much larger role is played by the willful destruction of habitat. We in the wealthy west do tend to be somewhat holier than thou in our attitudes to habitat loss as we do not face starvation on a daily basis. The reasons for habitat destruction run much deeper than merely any Govt. getting it`s act together and stopping the carnage. For many species of plant, herp, bird and mammal the amateur enthusiast can play a major role in propogating species in captivity. Take the example of orchids - in the 1800`s millions upon millions of tons of plants were plundered from all over the globe and brought back to europe and north america. Some of the species described then no longer exist in the wild, although some do still exist in captivity. With the right management those species left could be propogated to a state where they could be returned to the wild, given the right political climate. By all means join in, but be prepared for the long haul, not making a quick buck, bragging "I`ve got 5 pairs of xxx" or "I have 5 pairs of xxx and they cost $10000 each" We can all play a role in species survival at some level, I just wish those with all the money could lead the way.

Finallly, how do you feel about this - Smugglers play an important role in species survival by procuring animals for captive propogation that otherwise may well become extinct if left in their rapidly disappearing habitats. Certainly a very contentious statement and not one I necessarily endorse, but what do you have to say about it?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]